The North American Butterfly Association (NABA) has been awarded a Conservation License Plate grant from the Wildlife Diversity Program of Texas Parks and Wildlife (TPW) to determine the current status of a rare butterfly, the Frosted Elfin (Callophrysirus hadros) in Texas. You can read more about this project at www.naba.org/frosted_elfin.html.

To summarize the information that is on the website, our project needs to identify likely but still undocumented locations where the elfin may continue to exist and then have those sites surveyed by citizen scientists to determine if the elfin is found there. We need to 1) identify locations with good populations of the wild indigo plant, the host plant for the elfin’s caterpillars, and then to 2) have citizen scientists survey as many of those locations as possible during the February through May 2018 time-frame.

We believe that members of the Fort Worth Audubon Society could play an important role in both of those tasks, though the closest counties this species might be found are Dallas, Grayson, and Freestone (see http://www.naba.org/Texas_County_Conservation_Areas.pdf for the entire list of counties). The grant includes funding to reimburse mileage expenses for participants. There are forms on the website address given above which can be downloaded and used to pass along information to us about wild indigo locations your members may be aware of as well as for people who may be able to conduct field surveys for Frosted Elfin in early 2018. The forms can be sent to me at jue@naba.org or by regular mail to: Dean Jue, 3455 Dorchester Ct., Tallahassee, FL 32312.

For specific information on how you can help, along with links to the data sheet and sign-up form, click on the following link: http://www.naba.org/frosted_elfin_help.html

All participants will be acknowledged both in any resulting publications and at NABA’s website, www.naba.org. Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above e-mail address or call me at (850) 386-1393. Thank you very much for your help on this important project.

Sincerely,
Dean K. Jue
Tallahassee, FL
NABA Project Coordinator