Thread: Krider's Red-tail or ?

Default Krider's Red-tail or ?

This hawk was at Lake Benbrook today. Bright pure white front with no spotting or stripes, some mottled white on back. One photo indicates some red on tail, but could be late afternoon lighting. Krider's was our best guess, but more experienced opinions are solicited.

Jerry and Diane Turner

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0285-Bird.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	2439 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0286-Bird.jpg 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	2440 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0310-Bird.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	2441 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0330-Bird.jpg 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	2442

Hi Jerry and Diane,
    I am by no means an expert.
    Looking at your photos I agree with you that this is a Krider's Red-tailed Hawk.
    I looked at several resources and found this link to a PDF paper at the American Birding Association. (click here to download)
    It is mentioned in the article there is a close resemblance to the light-morph Harlan's clean belly, but the Harlan's back is dark with no white in it. The author also compares the Southwestern RTHA.
    Look at their photos of several adult Krider's and juveniles. The article mentions that some Krider's will show a pinkish red in the tail.
    Nice find.
    Jim Jones
    Bedford, TX

Thanks Jim,

I don't know if it's there today, but it was at the lake both Sunday and Monday. It was in the same tree just past the entrance to the third turnout, behind the old model airplane hangers. Couldn't be missed as the white breast was practically glowing in the afternoon sun.

Jerry

Jack Chiles is reporting a "Kriders" Red-tailed hawk at Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge that is apparently is being well documented as has been seen over the past few weeks. It's a race the seems to be reported more along the Texas Gulf Coast during winter, so it's a good find for North Central Texas, perhaps. So far, the winter birds (and it's not even winter yet) are giving us a good show this season.

Regards, Michael

Received this from the regional data reviewer:

First of all it’s not too clear whether Krider’s are a pale morph of the borealis common Red-Tailed Hawk, or their own subspecies kriderii. If we do treat it as a full subspecies and not just a pale morph of the eastern borealis subspecies, there can be intergrades between it and other subspecies. I think that’s what your bird is, an intergrade.
    Jerry Liguori and Brian Sullivan have a paper published in ABA https://www.aba.org/birding/v42n2p38.pdf wherein they treat Krider’s as a full subspecies. They list Krider’s field marks as extensively white head, extensively white tail, extensively pale-mottled upper wing coverts, restricted patagials, and restricted bellyband. On page 41 of that article they say any bird with 3 or more of these field marks could be considered a “pure” Krider’s, whereas a bird with less than three is probably an intergrade.
    As this bird is only showing 2 of these field marks (white mottling on coverts and restricted bellyband) it looks like an intergrade to me, and not a pure Krider’s.
    Don’t change it yet though, because I’m looking into the best way to report this bird to eBird. There is not a "Krider’s/Eastern Red-tailed Intergrade” choice, so the best way to do this may be to keep it as “Krider’s” and note that it’s an intergrade.

I’ll get back to you soon on this.

Christian Walker