Thread: A Thanksgiving gift: Ruby-crowned Kinglet at our windows

Default A Thanksgiving gift: Ruby-crowned Kinglet at our windows

For a week now, a male Ruby-crowned Kinglet has been attacking our windows and patio door. He begins his assault just after dawn and doesn't give up until about 11 AM. The rear wall off our living room has 2 bay windows and a double-patio door (all glass.) Inside the windows are several tall house plants. Outside is the water fountain, wind-chimes hanging from the eve of the roof, a Chinese Maple, and several more potted plants that we keep outside year-round. The little guy flits from chime to branch to windowsill, then flutters up against the glass. He flashes his red crown almost continuously!

I have read about this behavior. Some believe the birds are attacking their own image believing the reflection is another male. In our visitor's case, the angle looks wrong for seeing its own image except when it is flying from perch to perch. He hangs onto the door jam or edge of the window, flutters out to the middle of the glass pane and taps once or twice at the glass, returns to the edge and perches there for a few seconds, then repeats.... or flies to the nest window and begins again. He will do this for over 3 hours every day! After seven days, I thought he would give up.

While he is doing this battle, he cares little that I am standing within inches on the inside. I went outside a few times and watched. He almost landed on me, and did land within inches of my head on a branch. I bet he would easily venture inside the house if we didn't properly time opening the door to let our pooch outside. (our poor doggie is blind and almost deaf now, so she is not bothered by the new visitor or the tapping.)

I hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving with family and friends.
    Jim Jones
    Bedford, TX

Quote Originally Posted by JimJones View Post
    For a week now, a male Ruby-crowned Kinglet has been attacking our windows and patio door. He begins his assault just after dawn and doesn't give up until about 11 AM. The rear wall off our living room has 2 bay windows and a double-patio door (all glass.) Inside the windows are several tall house plants. Outside is the water fountain, wind-chimes hanging from the eve of the roof, a Chinese Maple, and several more potted plants that we keep outside year-round. The little guy flits from chime to branch to windowsill, then flutters up against the glass. He flashes his red crown almost continuously!

I have read about this behavior. Some believe the birds are attacking their own image believing the reflection is another male. In our visitor's case, the angle looks wrong for seeing its own image except when it is flying from perch to perch. He hangs onto the door jam or edge of the window, flutters out to the middle of the glass pane and taps once or twice at the glass, returns to the edge and perches there for a few seconds, then repeats.... or flies to the nest window and begins again. He will do this for over 3 hours every day! After seven days, I thought he would give up.

While he is doing this battle, he cares little that I am standing within inches on the inside. I went outside a few times and watched. He almost landed on me, and did land within inches of my head on a branch. I bet he would easily venture inside the house if we didn't properly time opening the door to let our pooch outside. (our poor doggie is blind and almost deaf now, so she is not bothered by the new visitor or the tapping.)

I hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving with family and friends.

I see videos of this every year from our customers at WBU. Do you have suet out? It may have laid claim to your yard if there is a food source and its reflection is the interloper. I put out Bark Butter, and that seems to keep them coming all Winter. Great story Jim. You'd think it would get tired at some point so you better help it put on those calories it keeps burning off. Haha. Maria Panagopoulos