Thread: TRIP FULL: Hagerman Federal Wildlife Refuge, January 6, 2018

Default TRIP FULL: Hagerman Federal Wildlife Refuge, January 6, 2018

Fieldtrip Announcement: TRIP is FULL
    Where: Hagerman Federal Wildlife Refuge, west of Sherman, TX
    When: Saturday, January 6, 2017
    Departure time from Ft. Worth area to be determined after participants RSVP
    Leader: Jim Jones (jim_jones@fwas.org)
    Limited to 15 Participants / RSVP Required / Carpooling will be encouraged

Join me for a winter field trip to Hagerman Nat'l Wildlife Refuge. The refuge was established in 1946 as an overlay of a portion of the Big Mineral arm of Lake Texoma. The refuge provides 12,000+ acres. During the winter there are many species of waterfowl including views of over 10,000 geese in one field (or in a large floating raft of white just off the shoreline road.) If you are on TexBirds forum or follow eBird reports, you know that a weekly Tuesday Morning tour routinely lists 60 to 74 species. Besides the waterfowl we may also find Pileated and Red-headed Woodpecker, White-breasted Nuthatch, and possibly a LeConte's sparrow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1314.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	2431
    (the group from January, 2017)

This is a one day trip. The refuge is located about 90 miles north of the metro-plex. I would like to arrive at the refuge by 8 AM which means the group should depart the Fort Worth area by 6:45 AM. We will bird through the morning, have a lunch, then continue for perhaps another 1 hour if the group feels up to it. Most of the refuge is done by car, frequently stopping to view wildlife. There is one trail I like to take (past Dead Woman's Pond) to find woodpeckers and nuthatches.

Note: When we are on the property we will carpool to reduce the number of vehicles driving around. The number of vehicles will be reduced further if I can get Jack Chiles to join us. Jack can get us access to the southern part of the property (behind the locked gate) and he can drive one of the refuge's 9-passenger vans.

When you RSVP, please supply a mobile phone number, what part of the metro-plex you are driving from, and if you want to volunteer to drive. From past experience I find it best if we limit the number of vehicles to four. If you share a ride, please remember to share gas costs with your driver. I will also arrange for getting a radio in each car.

After I receive the RSVPs, I will decide the best (and safest) car-pool meeting point and coordinate a plan.

Please dress for the weather. If it is cold and windy, the shore drive can feel 10 degrees colder! Also wear sturdy walking shoes for the trails. We won't be wading anywhere, but there is a chance of puddles and heavy morning dew.

Bring a lunch, water / beverages, and snacks.
    Jim Jones
    Bedford, TX

Is this trip full?
    Missy
    from Rendon, TX
    Awestruck Birder... Learning to fly!