Thread: Trip Report - Fort Worth Nature Center 10/15/2017

Default Trip Report - Fort Worth Nature Center 10/15/2017

On Sunday, October 15, 2017, myself and eleven birders had a very nice morning weather-wise at the Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge (FWNC&R). We were hoping that the cool front that came in just before sunrise was going to bring some nice migrants and/or winter residents with it, but avian activity was definitely slow. We walked close to two miles of the recently re-opened Equestrian Trail, then visited the new boardwalk that was dedicated early this year, then wound up our tour of the FWNC&R walking around Greer Island. Highlights included nice views of a perched Osprey that later gave us a fly-by at the Boardwalk, and also a very cooperative Belted Kingfisher seen from the levee going to Greer Island - it stayed perched and we never saw it leave. The most common bird species of the day by far was the Eastern Phoebe. Below is a list of 27 bird species that were either seen or heard by members of the group. We also had a troublesome sparrow species on the levee going back from Greer Island that we are seeking a second opinion on.

Regards, Michael Francis
    President, FWAS
    ----------------------------
    Mallard
    Pied-billed Grebe
    Double-crested Cormorant
    Great-blue Heron
    Great Egret
    Snowy Egret
    Little Blue Heron
    White-faced Ibis
    Black Vulture
    Turkey Vulture
    Osprey
    Red-tailed Hawk
    American Coot
    Belted Kingfisher
    Red-bellied Woodpecker
    Downy Woodpecker
    Northern Flicker
    Eastern Phoebe
    Blue Jay
    American Crow
    Barn Swallow
    Carolina Chickadee
    Tufted Titmouse
    Carolina Wren
    Marsh Wren
    Ruby-crowned Kinglet
    Northern Mockingbird
    Lincoln's Sparrow
    Last edited by MKFrancis; 10-18-2017 at 02:47 PM.

Amanda Brochu, who first brought the troublesome sparrow on the Greer Island levee to my attention, got some pictures and sent them to me. The pictures clearly show that my initial reaction of Lincoln's Sparrow was indeed correct. The light was not good as the sun was "behind" the bird while it was wandering from one side of the path to another. As such, the fine streaking on the breast was obscured, as was the gray "collar" that is so indicative of this species. Fortunately, Amanda's pictures clearly showed a very pretty Lincoln's Sparrow without the issues of light we experienced. So, I have changed the list above to show "Lincoln's Sparrow" instead of "Sparrow sp." I've posted the two pictures Amanda sent me below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LincolnsSparrow1.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	2429 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LincolnsSparrow2.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	2430