Thread: Hidden Falls Clean-up Day, July 29, 2017

Hybrid View

Default Hidden Falls Clean-up Day, July 29, 2017

Stephanie George is inviting FWAS volunteers to join her for a Hidden Falls Clean-up event on Saturday, July 29, 2017.
    We will begin at 8:00 AM.

Hidden Falls is located below the Lake Worth Dam spillway. Stephanie works for TX Parks & Wildlife Dept. and is assigned to the team at the Old State Fish Hatchery (OSFH) in northwest Ft. Worth.

FWAS held three clean-up days at this location back when I first joined the chapter in the early 2000s. We had pulled several tons of trash out of the area both from the Old State Fish Hatchery property and from the road leading down to the limestone flats above the Hidden Falls. After 9/11 (2001), Ft. Worth Water Dept. fenced in the area for security reasons. This reduced foot traffic to almost zero (except for the FWAS Christmas Bird Counts and occasional bird watcher's fieldtrip.) But trash has again started to build up from boating activities up on Lake Worth and from people walking down from Robert's Cut-Off Rd on the east side of the spillway. At least this time there should not be large items like car batteries, tires and 70-year-old brass cash registers from the city's tax offices.

Perhaps you have joined one of my fieldtrips to this area. Here is what it looks like:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hidden falls Cleanup.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	2415

Stephanie has sent out her invitation on Facebook at: Hidden FallsClean-up.

If you are not on Facebook (like me) and wish to help, let me know and I will forward a list of volunteers to Stephanie.
    I will also stick around afterwards in case folks would like to visit the OSFH property and do some birding. There are about 3 miles of trails that offer great old-growth bottomland woodland's birding.

Send me an email if you would like to help. (Jim_Jones@fwas.org)
    I will send you directions and details.
    Last edited by JimJones; 07-12-2017 at 11:40 AM. Reason: change date errors
    Jim Jones
    Bedford, TX