Thread: Sad news from Longhollow Ranch

Hybrid View

Default Sad news from Longhollow Ranch

Hello,
    I am sharing the sad news that Bev Clauser of Erath County passed away on Monday, June 14, 2017. Many of our current Fort Worth Audubon community knew Bev and her husband Lee from our annual field trips to their Longhollow Ranch on Chalk Mountain.

I have only known the Clausers for the last 17 years. I would see them at our monthly meetings after I joined FWAS in 1999, and was introduced to Bev and Lee’s warm hospitality on my first visit to Chalk Mountain in 2001. But over the years I learned that Bev and Lee were active FWAS members long before they moved to Chalk Mountain. When Bev and Lee still lived in Fort Worth, they were better known to many outside of the birding community for their volunteer wildlife rehabilitation activities. On a few of our birding visits to the ranch, when bad weather forced us to shorten our time in the field, Lee would share one of his slide show presentations of their rehabilitation work: photos of the room they converted into a clinic in their Fort Worth home; the many feathered patients they nursed back to health; the nestlings (some from eggs) that people would find and bring to Bev. After retirement in the mid-1990s, the Clausers moved to Longhollow Ranch in Erath County. Bev shared a story one time about getting a call from the folks who purchased their Fort Worth home to ask why strangers would leave a shoe box with an injured animal on their front porch for several months after they moved.

Bob Scott has been an active FWAS member from the 1980s to now. He shared how Bev would never turn away any bird species that was hurt, from the lowly House Sparrow to beautiful raptors. He added that Bev cared and it really showed in her rehabilitation work. Bob told me he also remembers that Bev was always cheerful and always good for a big hug that all appreciated.

Glenda Keilstrup stayed at the little cabin at Longhollow Ranch several times. She remembers that you always felt like family when you stayed there.

Charley Amos who was a board member in the early '90s recounted how friendly and welcoming Bev was.

From the very start, Bev and Lee opened their home at Longhollow Ranch and welcomed birders to visit their property and the nearby Brown property about 12 miles west of Glen Rose. With Lee's help, FWAS and Audubon Texas was able to register the Brown property registered as a Global Important Bird Area for the Golden-cheek Warblers and Black-capped Vireos nesting there. I have lead TOS Winter Meeting fieldtrips to Longhollow Ranch on two occasions, and I have continued a yearly FWAS springtime visit for over 15 years. Bev and Lee would often come and join us at the little cabin to share lunch with the groups. Bev would tell us what she has been seeing on the ranch and then listen to our own stories about what we had seen that day. They both made us all feel welcomed by their warm stories and hospitality. Bev was most concerned for how few Loggerhead Shrikes were being seen near their ranch and would ask me every year if we were seeing a decrease of shrikes in other areas.

When Lee called me Tuesday morning he told me there will not be a funeral or memorial service. Lee asked that I tell folks who wish to make a remembrance donation in Bev's name to please make a gift to the:
    Hico Activity Center
    Attn: Jill Campbell, Director
    411 N. Mesquite St., Hico, TX 76457
    Make the check payable to the Hico Activity Center.

If you have a remembrance to share, please do so. If you are not registered to post, send your story to me and I will add it here.
    Jim Jones
    Bedford, TX

I received an email from Tom and Betsy Strother who knew Bev and Lee Clauser for many years:
    We were sorry to hear of the passing of Bev. My wife Betsy and I were very active in FWAS from the mid-'80's until about 2000 or so, holding almost every office in the chapter. Bev and Lee lived only a few blocks from us here in Wedgwood. Sometimes she would call us to come identify a particular bird someone had brought in for rehab. We could be at their house in five minutes. I had very little bird-in-hand experience. Mostly I was used to looking at them through binoculars, scopes and camera lenses. It took a while for me to understand the difference in size in birds up-close and those viewed through glasses of one sort or another. Yes, Bev was a licensed rehabber. They had a nice home here in Wedgwood part of which, along with their garage, they had converted into a hospital area. She knew about medicines, repairing broken wings, dealing with other injuries. She knew too when there was no point in attempting to save the bird. She showed us a humane way to euthanize an injured bird. She dealt with everything, from warblers to hawks. I wish I could tell you when the Clausers became active in FWAS but alas, I cannot. I jointed in '82. They weren't there then. I believe by the late 80's, they were.
    Tom (& Betsy) Strother
    Jim Jones
    Bedford, TX

Thanks Jim. I didn't know them, but I am glad to read your post, and happy they made such an impression on the birding community. R.I.P. Bev.