Thread: Possible Monk Parakeet colony starting in Everman

Default Possible Monk Parakeet colony starting in Everman

Received an email from Buck Buchanan, a former member and President of FWAS when I joined the chapter in 2000.
    Buck wanted to share he was 'out exploring' last week and came upon a pair of Monk Parakeets starting a nest on the northeast corner of the intersection of Wichita Street and Enon Avenue in Everman. (follow Wichita St. south of I-20. Wichita ends at Enon Ave.)
    When I looked at Google maps I see there is a Quickway Gas and Market on the NW corner, and some unidentified buildings on the NE corner with a few trees behind them. Buck did not add specifically where the nest is being built. So you might have to scan the trees to find them.
    Jim Jones
    Bedford, TX

I know there are some colonies right by the Fire Department/Police Station. You can park at the library and get a good look at them. Its right near W. Trammell Avenue and N. Race Street if anyone wants to go see them.

Yes, there have most definitely been Monk Parakeets in Everman for many years. I participated in a Texas A&M University Monk Parakeet study about 6 1/2 years back in Everman. There was a small group of them at one of the electrical substations not far from downtown where most of the birds are nesting. Very easy to observe. There were still a few active nests near the substation at Joel East Road and Wichita St this past Saturday.
    Missy
    from Rendon, TX
    Awestruck Birder... Learning to fly!