I was beginning to worry that the Mississippi Kites which have been yearly visitors for over 15 years may have moved on. I did not see any up until May 3rd. Then a whole group arrived. They seem to have already paired up as well. There are 6 pairs following their springtime actions within a 3 block area. One pair has chosen the tree outside our backyard window so I have been entertained every evening watching their mating rituals. I also see another pair from the same window soaring over the powerlines. A friend I see on the walking path told me she thinks there is nest-building across the street from her home which is in that direction. A 3rd pair returned to their tree 6 house up the street, a 4th pair is 8 houses down the street, and Ive seen a 5th and 6th pair along the Bedford Trails walking path which runs from Walmart on HWY 121 west to Forest Ridge Rd near the Bedford Boy's Ranch.

Several pairs of American Kestrels have also nested again along the path up high in the cross-arms of the powerline towers. These pairs seem to stay about 200-yards apart. Tis is the 5th year for this activity.

Another fun year to look forward to...