Thread: Longshot from rank newbie

Default Longshot from rank newbie

Howdy all,

I'm brand new to birding and know next to nothing. I really do want to learn.

I got a new camera yesterday and decided to walk outside to see if I could get a bird. Here are a couple of pictures. I know they aren't really good (not experienced at photography either obviously) and am trying out my skills.

In good light, the bird appeared almost all white except for the wing tips and tail. I noticed the bend at the wrist, no legs dangling backward and no long neck. The shadows make the darkness on the underside of the wings overstated. It extend from the tip about a third of the way to the body. I live in Crowley and this was about 7:30 p.m. just as the light was starting to get low.

My thoughts were something along the lines of a Mississippi Kite. I might be way off. I noticed that this is listed as occasional/uncommon for this time of year which makes me think I'm way off.

What have I missed? (I know that describing birds is important)

I tried to embed or attach photos and was not able to. Here is a link to a shared album to see the photos. https://goo.gl/photos/dw4xo5jMeV3i7nDk7

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6948.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	2376Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6950.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	2377
    Thanks,
    Chris

PS I'm looking for a birding mentor my cell is ate won seven - ate oh 5 - oh ate thr33 too
    Last edited by brotherchris; 04-28-2017 at 12:42 PM.

Chris,

I believe that is an Osprey based on the shape, but like you said it's not a great picture so there is room for interpretation.
    Ken

...and they will see teal, blue-winged, green-winged, shelldrakes, whistlers, black ducks, ospreys, and many other wild and noble sights before night, such as they who sit in parlors never dream of. H. D. Thoreau - A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers

Thanks Ken.