Please join Jim Jones for our annual field trip to Longhollow Ranch and the Brown Property near Glen Rose, TX, on May 27, 2017. The Brown Property is a recognized International Global Important Bird Area. Targeted species are the endangered Golden-cheeked Warbler and Black-capped Vireo, and hopefully the Ash-throated Flycatcher. I have led this trip for almost 14 years. We have always been successful in locating and viewing the warbler and vireo species.

When: Saturday, May 27, 2017
Where: Longhollow Ranch / Brown Property
Lunch at Longhollow Ranch (please bring a box lunch)
Also bring water and snacks for the morning hours.
Trip time: 3/4 day (8 hours)
Trip is limited to 20 folks. I don't want to lose anyone.
RSVP only.

The trip will include both flat and rugged walking. The ranch property has one dirt/gravel road which we will use as much as possible. We have not driven on the property in several years. We park on the gravel driveway and enter through the back gates. From there we walk mostly on knee-high grass-covered roads up into the hollows where Golden-cheek Warblers have nested. Then we follow a gravel road to the top of a bluff overlook (about a 300-ft elevation change) to search for Black-capped Vireos. In all, we walk about 3.5 miles round trip.

NOTE: If Erath has had rain recently, the grass (and chiggers) will be abundant. I strongly suggest long trousers and insect repellent. Good hiking shoes are also recommended due to the large stones (fist-size) that cover much of the road up on the escarpment.

Folks who wish to carpool from the Fort Worth area, please meet Jim at 6:30 AM at the Dutch Branch Park Athletic Complex in Benbrook on HWY 377 and Winscott Road. (This is the one area in Benbrook where you can park without fear of being towed.) We park next to the baseball fields. Please note: many attendees over the last few years have exited I-20 using the Winscott Rd exit. Use the HWY 377 exit. Drive south on 377 about 1.4 miles to Winscott Road, turn left then turn right into the parking area.

If you wish to meet us at Longhollow Ranch, (at 7:50 AM,) let Jim know and he will send directions. Lee and Bev allow us to use the facilities then we drive over to the Brown Property from 8:15 to noon. We return to Longhollow for our lunch. If you would like to bird around Longhollow Ranch, you may do so that afternoon.

Contact Jim at jim_jones@fwas.org to RSVP.