Thread: Spring Birding?

Default Spring Birding?

Anyone organizing a spring walk, besides the Trinity River one? Is there a spring count we participate in? PS- I'd REALLY like to photo some painted buntings! Any suggestions?
    Chris Castoro

We have a spring bird count you can participate in on Saturday, April 29th. Please contact Chuck Baskin via E-mail chuckbaskin@sbcglobal.net or cell (817) 718-5642 for details. As for Painted Buntings, they will not arrive and start singing until the last week or so of April. To reliably see them and possibly get a good photo, the Fort Worth Nature Center & Refuge is always good. They sometimes come to the feeding station at the Hardwicke Interpretive Center (the "visitor's center" there). Also, you'll hear and see them by the Marsh Boardwalk area - they usually nest in trees by the field opposite the parking lot. Of course, there are other places at the Nature Center where you can encounter them, but knowing their song is usually key to finding them. You can listen to recordings online and train your ear that way. The males usually sing from the tops of trees. You can join Jean Ferguson's walk at Foster Park on April 8 (no buntings then, and I'm not sure that park gets any) and May 11. These walks begin at 8:30 a.m. - check this link for details: http://www.fwas.org/showthread.php?129-Birding-in-the-Park

Hopefully, others will make suggestions as to where they usually see Painted Buntings locally.

Regards, Michael

I have a couple of other suggestions for Painted Bunting. Jim Sipiora always sees these on his FWAS birding walks at the Village Creek Drying Beds in Arlington in the months of May, June, and July. He has walks scheduled for May 10th at 8:30 a.m., June 14th at 7:45 a.m., and July 12th at 7:45 a.m. You can get full details of these monthly walks through the following link: http://www.fwas.org/showthread.php?2...he-Beds-(VCDB). Alternately, you can E-mail Jim for more info at sipiora.1@netzero.net. If you go on your own, I was told to look at the trees at the back of the property. Say you enter and park, then walk straight back - some trees on your right near the back and all the way to the back is the most likely habitat.

The other suggestion I got was for yet another location within the Fort Worth Nature Center. The first trail you come to after getting past the center's entry gate is on your right - there's a parking are and the trail takes you to the prairie dog town. Apparently, several males call from the parking area and surrounding area, and probably on down a short bit of the trail.

Hope this helps, Michael